Monday, November 19, 2012

Seattle's Painted Traffic Control Boxes 28

After learning Todd Lown and Jesse Brown designed and painted eight more traffic control boxes, I went on a search for them.  Enlisting the help of my friend Jo Ann, who acted as chauffeur and tour guide, we headed to Capitol Hill.  I had learned they were up on Broadway, somewhere.
SE Corner Broadway - Mercer - Capitol Hill Neighborhood
Photo by:  Cherri

As stated above, this first one on Capitol Hill is located at Broadway and Mercer.  Note the inscription has changed slightly from the boxes in the West Edge Neighborhood.  Plus, the sign on the left at the back reads, "Project Funded by Department of Neighborhoods & Supported by the Broadway Business Improvement Area.  For maintenance inquires please call 206-328-6646.  Sponsored in part by:  three dollar bill cinema"

Jo Ann had gone to college on Capitol Hill and we not only found the additional eight boxes, we photographed a Jimmy Hendricks bronze statue, a construction mural surrounding the new Sound Transit University Link Capitol Hill Station and Tunnel, and a ve-e-ery long mural on the retaining wall for Lowell Elementary.  

We also toured the college area and some very old houses.  Jo Ann was able to offer a great deal of information about them and their former owners. 
Then, Jo Ann took me to a quaint little cafe near Volunteer Park that was established in 1905, and we had a quick tour around the oldest cemetery in Seattle, the Asian Art Museum, the Conservatory at Volunteer Park and many of Jo Ann's old haunts.  I don't think I thanked her enough for her help and encouragement.  

I can't wait to share my other discoveries with you, my readers, if there are really any of you out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment