Friday, November 2, 2012

Seattle's Painted Traffic Control Artists 1




The first information I found for Todd Lown was blog for a show in which Todd participated.  The URL is

It had the following biography of Todd and included this photo:


Seattle's Painted Traffic Control Boxes


Todd Lown was born in Seattle, Washington, where he grew up skateboarding and drawing. Attending the University of Washington he earned a BFA in Printmaking and later pursued further studies in animation at the School of Visual Arts. Todd has designed artwork for album covers, t-shirts, skateboards, public art murals, and hand-painted signs. He has shown original art in Dusseldorf, Antwerp, Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. Todd currently resides in sunny Seattle. 

"Over the past few years I have been working with oil and water based mediums on paintings with type as characters and content. Narrative vignettes composed of type, anthropomorphized type, form and pattern and color. My goal is to enjoy both process and product.
He has painted 26 traffic control boxes in downtown Seattle, between Cherry and Virginia on 1st and 2nd 

– posted on this blog 6/16/2010
 
Todd had participated in The Sign Show, Lazerz! per this blog. There are numerous pieces of his artwork for sale on the above site at the Compound Gallery.

He also appeared in a Brooklyn show:  Too Art for TV5.  The blog for this show is:  http://www.bunnycutlet.com/2a4tv/2011.html.  From this site I got the following paragraph about Todd:


Todd Kidwell Lown’s work is a conglomeration of animations, signage, drawings and paintings both illustrative and abstract. Currently back in Seattle drawing and painting [murals] daily, Todd has previously worked at 4Kids Productions on TMNT Fast forward, as a background inker/colorist and then on Viva Piñata as the Production Coordinator. His art has been exhibited in museums and galleries from: The City of Seattle Portable Works collection, Too Art for TV 2-4, In the Zone at the Brattleborough Art Museum in Vermont, Gimme Baby Robots 1-3, Dauminkino (The Flip Book Show) in Düsseldorf, Germany and Antwerp, Belgium, to Vagrant Royalty in Tokyo, Japan.

Todd has his own blog which has some exceptional examples of his work.  The link to that blog is:  http://toddlown.blogspot.com/.   He last posted to this blog Sept 19, 2012.  

There is also a posting in August of 2011, titled, "Hello"  that shows 3 painted traffic control boxes.  I found out that these are on Broadway and discovered Todd had painted 9 more boxes in this area.   I will include them on my blog when I get a chance to photograph them.  They also will be included in the public folder where I placed all 27 of the other boxes.  It is located at https://plus.google.com/photos/105525107077876984484/albums/5801818673517774209

On Todd's blog he has several pictures of the 46th Street Mural. The dog in one of the photos looks surprisingly like the dog in the painted traffic control box no. 4 at 2nd and Marion.  His dog?

There is also a video by Justin Boldaji, posted on his blog Friday August 13, 2010 that shows the actual painting of the 46th Street Mural.  The mural is located along the 46th street underpass of Aurora Avenue in the Fremont/Wallingford Neighborhood.

Here is a photo of the mural.  When I get a chance, I will photograph it myself.
46th Street Mural by Todd Lown

I tried to find out more information about him on his blog, but there was nothing under the "View My Complete Profile" or the "About Me." However, There was this information posted about him on one of his posts:
Todd Kidwell Lown is available for hire on projects of any size. He works as an illustrator, designer and sign painter in Seattle, WA. His art and work are a conglomeration of signage, drawings and paintings ambiguous, illustrative, abstract and often subversive in nature. Todd is the founder and co/owner of Sausage Skateboards; he has previously worked on TMNT, as a background inker/colorist and then on to design and implement over 100 pieces of public art in the greater Seattle area. His art has been exhibited in museums and galleries worldwide: ‘The Sign Show’ in Seattle and Portland, ‘Too Art 4 TV’ # 2-6 in Brooklyn, the Brattleborough Art Museum in Vermont, Dauminkino (The Flip Book Show) in Düsseldorf, Germany and Antwerp, Belgium, and ‘Vagrant Royalty’ in Tokyo, Japan.
I joined his site as a follower, but I have not yet had contact with him.  

His lack of information about himself on his blog has caused me to realize I have very little personal information on my own blog, also.  I guess I was protecting my privacy, but people want to know.  I will update my personal information this weekend.














No comments:

Post a Comment